Teaching English as a Second Language
Graduate Program |
Graduate Endorsement |
19 credit hours
The TESL endorsement only option is available to Iowa teachers.
Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) Endorsement Courses
- GEDU 517 Social and Cultural Foundations
- GECI 503 Differentiating Instruction for Diverse Learners
- GECI 541 Second Language Acquisition
- GECI 542 Applied Linguistics
- GECI 543 Methods and Curriculum Development in TESL
- GECI 544 Assessment Issues in Second Language Learning
- GECI 558/9 Practicum in Teaching ESL (K-6) or (7-12)
Tuition & Fees
2014-15 Tuition:$504 per credit hour
2015-16 Tuition:$519 per credit hour
How to Apply
- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited institution.
- Minimum undergraduate college GPA of 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale).
Applicants who cannot meet this requirement may be considered for probationary admission status and may enroll in up to nine hours of graduate study at BVU. These applicants will be reviewed at that time and pending successful completion of these nine hours (at least a "B" in each course), may be granted full status.
- Copy of a valid K-12 teaching certificate or license.
- Submission of the online application form, including autobiographical essay.
- Three letters of recommendation. One from your principal, one from a colleague, and another from a reference of your choosing.
- Official transcripts from any institution attended as well as any graduate transcripts.
- Provide a copy of a valid K-12 teaching certificate or license.
The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program provides up to $4,000 per year in grants for graduate and undergraduate students to students who intend to teach full-time in high-need subject areas for at least four years at schools that serve students from low-income families. Students must meet all eligibility requirements.
Loans are made to students at low interest rates and must be repaid, but generally payments are not due until the student has completed his or her education or ceases at least half-time enrollment.
After all financial assistance is applied to the student account, students will be expected to pay the balance prior to the first class meeting. Students may pay:
- by mailing a check covering the tuition for the course (be sure to indicate the course number and title) to:
Buena Vista University
610 W. Fourth St.
Storm Lake, IA 50588
- by phoning the Business Office at 800.383.2821, ext. 2041 to make payments by credit card.
- in person at the Business Office. Cash, checks and the following credit cards are accepted: American Express, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa.
Main Phone 800.383.2821
Graduate Admissions 866.449.7059
610 West Fourth Street
Storm Lake, IA 50588
Technology Requirements for Online Courses
- Operating System: Windows Vista, 7 or 8. Or Macintosh OS X with RAM at or above OS recommendations
- Processor: A PC with a Pentium IV or newer, or a Macintosh with a G3 or newer
- Internet Connection: DSL or cable modem (high speed internet) Dial-up will not be sufficient.
- Browser: Internet Explorer 7+, Mozilla Firefox 3+, Safari, Chrome.
- Software: A current installation of Java (Java.com). Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint are required, (Microsoft Office XP, 2003, 2007, 2010 on Windows or Microsoft Office 2001, 2004, 2008, or 2011 for the Macintosh). Newer versions are recommended (Microsoft Office 2007, 2010 on Windows or Microsoft Office 2008, or 2011 for the Macintosh).