Being a part of the Iowa College AmeriCorps Program is a special honor at BVU. We currently have 25 AmeriCorps members in action. Students are selected to be apart of the program through an application and interview process during the fall semester. For more information please contact the Director of Civic Engagement, Dr. Ashley Farmer Hanson at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are HIRING! In our office! The AmeriCorps VISTA member will work with Buena Vista University’s Civic Engagement office and Teammates mentoring program with Storm Lake Schools to enhance capacity building for at risk youth and those in poverty. The VISTA member will work towards increasing attendance and academic performance through the mentoring program. The VISTA member will work directly with student organizations and student leaders to advise them as they lead service initiatives and events. Additionally, they will assist the Director of Civic Engagement with encouraging and educating the campus community to implement and track civic engagement experiences that address community needs in the areas of education and economic opportunity. This position is located in Storm Lake, IA. To apply click HERE!
AmeriCorps State Information
Frequently Asked Questions
What is AmeriCorps?
An opportunity to volunteer on and off campus in a variety of ways! The program was started in 1993, over 500,000 AmeriCorps Members have volunteered with local, state, and national non-profit agencies. Those serving in AmeriCorps provide needed assistance to millions of Americans to meet critical needs in:Education, Public Safety, Health, Homeland Security, and the Environment.
What are the benefits?
Not only do volunteers who complete the program receive leadership, communication, disaster/ emergency, and many other trainings. The students are awarded with $1,132 or $1,415 education stipend upon completion!
How can I get involved?
Contact the Director of Civic Engagement, Dr. Ashley Farmer-Hanson.
- Knowledge of disaster relief management and response
- Understanding of State and National AmeriCorps along with other branches of AmeriCorps VISTA and NCCC
- Demonstrates the ability to develop a community partner assessment
- Demonstrates the ability to create and implement a service plan
- Demonstrates the ability to actively reflect on service completed and impact
- Demonstrates the ability to assess and report impact
- Knowledge of local community
- Identify leadership & career related skills developed and how they transfer to life after BVU.
- Demonstrate a commitment to social justice
- Develop a range of leadership skills and abilities such as effectively leading change, resolving conflict, and motivating others