April 29, 2017
Buena Vista University Theatre presented “The Hollow," the murder mystery by Agatha Christie, in April 2017.
The play is based on a book by Christie and begins as a weekend getaway to the countryside at The Hollow, home of Sir Henry and Lady Lucy Angkatell, before quickly spiraling into a murder mystery. Dr. John Cristow, the Harley Street lothario, is at the center of the trouble when – all assembled together in one place – the audience is introduced to Cristow’s dull but devoted wife, Gerda; his mistress and prominent sculptor, Henrietta Angkatell; and his former lover and Hollywood film star, Veronica Craye. Also visiting the cottage are Edward Angkatell and Midge Harvey, whose romantic assertions are thrown into the mix. As the list of romantic associations grow, so do the list of potential suspects when a murder occurs. Nearly every character has a motive but only one performed the deed.
The production was directed by David Grant Walker, assistant professor of theatre and director of theatre productions at BVU.
The cast included:
- Kathryn Keller, a junior biology major from Rolfe, who plays Henrietta Angkatell
- Glenn Hackbarth, a sophomore history major from Milford, who plays Sir Henry Angkatell
- Skylar Finch, a sophomore arts management major from Polk City who plays Lady Lucy Angkatell
- London Van Horbeck, a sophomore physics major from Cedar Rapids, who plays Midge Harvey
- Corey McConnaughy, a junior digital media major from Bennington, Neb., who plays Gudgeon
- Cole Hackbarth, a sophomore English and theatre double major from Milford, who plays Edward Angkatell
- Sussan Haack, a senior digital media major from Le Mars, who plays Doris
- Makenzie Mauntler, a senior graphic design major from Glenville, Minn., who plays Gerda Cristow
- Tanner Wood, a senior business and mathematics double major from Springfield, Mo., who plays John Cristow
- Ciera Fergen, a junior arts management major from Spirt Lake, who plays Veronica Craye
- Chancellor Johnson, a junior theatre major from Nashua, who plays Inspector Colquhoun
- Daniel Walker, a freshman vocal music performance major from Warner Robins, Ga., who plays Detective Sgt. Penny
- Tara Smith, a freshman theatre major from Kansas City, Mo., who plays Operator
- Darby Baillie, a freshman business and communication studies double major from Holstein, who plays Vera
- Alyssa Parker, a freshman criminology/criminal justice and psychology double major from Des Moines, who plays Madame Henri