BVU Student Media Organizations Honored at State Conference
Feb. 9, 2013
Buena Vista University’s student-operated media organizations won several first place awards and other honors at the 2013 conference of the Iowa College Media Association (ICMA) held Feb. 7-8 in Des Moines.
The Tack Online was named the “2012 multimedia organization of the year” by the ICMA and The Tack Online and its staff won several honors including three first place awards. Last fall, The Tack made the conversion from print to a fully-online publication. The other student-operated media are University Cable Network (UCN) Studios, and KBVU radio.
“One of the most gratifying things about the awards we won this year is that they reflect the new direction of the Digital Media program at BVU, a true focus on developing professional multimedia storytellers,” says Jamii Claiborne, assistant professor of digital media and faculty advisor to The Tack Online. “The students often showcase that storytelling ability in our student organizations, publications and productions, and we faculty were thrilled to see their hard work and creativity recognized.”
BVU students attending the conference were:
- Krystal Schulte, sophomore digital media, graphic design, and art triple major from Carroll
- Kim Nelson, senior English major from Garnavillo
- Katie Rubino, senior digital media major from Story City
- Grace Bodey, junior graphic design and digital media double major from Belvidere, Ill.
- David Ekstrom, senior digital media major from Odebolt
- Kevin Coriolan, junior corporate communication and digital media double major from Worthington, Minn.
- Miranda Klingenberg, senior media studies major from Armstrong
- Zach Schmidt, freshman digital media and theatre double major from Northwood
- Chelsey Goetz, freshman digital media major from Lakota
- Shauna McKnight, junior digital media and computer science double major from Bettendorf
- April Allen, senior history and digital media double major from Sioux City.
Also attending were digital media professors Jerry Johnson, Dr. Andrea Frantz and Dr. Bruce Ellingson. Johnson is past president of the ICMA.
These students were also involved in creation of several of the media projects that received awards, but did not attend the conference:
- Holly Frerk, junior corporate communication major from Gilmore City
- Kelsey Fredricks, senior environmental studies major from Marathon
- Monica Figueroa, sophomore from Storm Lake
- Tyler McDanel senior digital media and history double major from Storm Lake
- Grady Gallagher, sophomore business education major from Moville
- Meghan Harmening, sophomore corporate math and finance & banking double major from Marshall, Minn.
- Tyler Reed, senior political science major from Mapleton
- Brandy Zumbach, senior graphic design major from Coggon
- Annie Rieva, junior history major from Sioux City
- Demetrius Heard, junior digital media major from Chicago, Ill.
The BVU student media organizations received the following ICMA awards:
2012 Multimedia Awards
Best Breaking Story
- First, The Tack Online, “Syndergaard trial coverage” (Ron Forsell, Class of 2012)
Best Original Content
- First, The Tack Online, “Plus/minus grading system receives mixed reviews” (Holly Frerk)
- Second, The Tack Online, “Teaching children in Ghana to be future leaders (Kevin Coriolan)
- Third, The Tack Online, “Homecoming shirt controversy causes rumors to arise” (Miranda Klingenberg)
- Honorable mention, The Tack Online, “Vondrak helps family members with rare disease” (Shauna McKnight)
Best Multimedia Slide Show
- First, The Tack Online, “Amber waves of grain: An Iowa farmer's reflection” (Grace Bodey, David Ekstrom, Kelsey Fredricks, Monica Figueroa)
- Second, The Tack Online, “Harlem Ambassadors at Buena Vista University” (Tyler McDanel)
- Second, The Tack Online, “Grady's Game Center” (weekly sports blog by Grady Gallagher)
- Third, The Tack Online, “Chalk Walk” (Meghan Harmening)
- Honorable mention, The Tack Online, “political blogger” (Tyler Reed)
Best Online Edition
- Second, The Tack Online (Kim Nelson, Grace Bodey, co-editors)
2012 Newspaper Awards
- Honorable mention, The Tack (Kim Nelson, Ron Forsell, Class of 2012)
- Honorable mention, The Tack, Admissions graphic (Brandy Zumbach)
2012 Radio Awards
- First, KBVU, BVU Admissions (Grace Bodey)
- Honorable mention, KBVU, BVU Admissions (Mark Haugen, Class of 2012; Justin Klein, Class of 2012)
Best News Programming
- First, KBVU, “Harvest news special” (Grace Bodey)
- Second, KBVU, “Buenafication Day 100 trees news special” (Annie Rieva)
Best Show Entertainment
- First, KBVU, “From The Beaver Den” (Demetrius Heard)
2012 Television Awards
Best Variety, Music and Comedy Program
- First, UCN Studios, “Mix in Imagination with The POPits” (The 2011 Advanced Video class, and David Ekstrom; Mark Haugen, Class of 2012)