Request an Interlibrary Loan
Interlibrary Loan is a service many libraries offer that allows patrons of one library to request specific books, articles and possibly AV materials from other libraries. At Buena Vista University, we refer to our interlibrary loan service as "ILLiad."
Items not available locally may be obtained through Interlibrary Loan. The Interlibrary Loan service is available at no charge to Buena Vista University students, faculty and staff. This service is also available to our Community Guests for a $15 annual membership fee.
Requests are submitted electronically through the Library's web site. First-time users must create an account on the ILLiad system.
- From the Library's homepage, click the "Interlibrary Loan" link and follow the instructions for "First Time Users" under the log in boxes.
- A "New User Registration" form will appear after log in. We require that BVU faculty, staff and students use their BVU email address to ensure prompt delivery of notices.
- Once you have created an ILLiad account, you can access it anywhere, anytime.
BVU students, faculty or staff contact 2fix if you forget your password.
Community guests and ICCC students should contact the library if you encounter problems logging in. We can then reset your password allowing you access to ILLiad. Please change your password once you are able to log in to ILLiad.
Turnaround time for ILL
Journal articles can often be loaded into your ILLiad account within three days. Items that are sent to the library (books, DVDs) take a week to 10 days to arrive.
We are committed to processing ILL requests in a timely manner. Because we cannot control how quickly other libraries will respond to our request, we cannot determine exactly how long it will take for any single item to arrive. It is recommended that you plan ahead and start your research early.
What can't I order through ILLiad interlibrary loan?
Some material is not readily available through ILLiad because of copyright considerations, high value, physical condition, size, format or other conditions set by the lending library. This includes:
- Materials in high demand (current best sellers)
- Textbooks for courses
- Whole issues or volumes of periodicals
- Reference book
- Rare, valuable, or fragile material, including manuscripts
- Some ERIC documents
- Audio-visual and microform materials are often difficult to borrow, as many libraries do not lend these materials through interlibrary loan.
- Computer programs that are licensed to the owner
- Dissertations and theses
- Educational or psychological testing booklets or forms
- Large, heavy or unwieldy items
Requests will be processed only in accordance with current copyright laws and guidelines. Users must comply with copyright restrictions when using materials. Copyright restrictions may make some materials unavailable.
Possible fees incurred with ILLiad
There are no delivery fees for Interlibrary Loan. The BVU Library assumes all costs and fees incurred in the transaction between the lending library and BVU Library. However, off-campus borrowers are responsible for return postage of books to the BVU Library if delivered to an off-campus address. All ILLiad users are responsible for replacement charges for any lost or damaged materials. Costs are determined by the library that owns the material.
How will I know when my material has arrived?
You will be notified via email when your item has arrived. Articles are scanned and delivered to you in PDF format, through your ILLiad account. Books and other returnables can be picked up at the BVU Library. Graduate & Professional Studies students may opt to have those items sent to them at home. The due date for these items is determined by the lending library and is usually between 3-4 weeks. Please contact the BVU Library if you wish to renew an interlibrary loan item.
How do I check the status of my request(s)?
To get information regarding the status of your requests:
- Log into ILLiad
- On the Main Page under Review Requests, click on the View Outstanding Requests button.
- You will then be directed to a page with a list of all your requests in process with their corresponding statuses.
- If you click on the button next to your request, you can view Detailed Information regarding your request.
- If you encounter problems or need help, call the Interlibrary Loan office at 712.749.2096 or email us.
Are there quicker alternatives to Interlibrary Loan?
Before submitting a request, you may wish to check to see if a local library carries the item you need. However, if you do submit a request, check your form to make sure all information is correct and complete. The more completely you fill out the form, the more quickly we can process your request.
How do I return interlibrary loaned books?
Patrons in Storm Lake should simply return their interlibrary loans to the Circulation Desk. If the library isn't open, please use the book drop to return your items.
Graduate & Professional Studies students and faculty should return items borrowed through ILLiad to the BVU Library in the mail. A return mailing label is included with the items.
Please return materials in a securely sealed box or padded envelope addressed to:
Buena Vista University Library
610 West Fourth Street
Storm Lake, IA 50588 You are responsible for the mailing charges to return the items to BVU.