2013-2014 Tuition Rates
- Master of Science in Education -Professional School Counseling
$464 per credit hour
- A fee of $100 per 3-credit hour course will apply to students who opt to use a BVU laptop during the summer sessions at our Storm Lake campus (Professional School Counseling only). Students may bring laptops or use desktop computers in the BVU Library free of charge.
- Students taking online courses pay a one-time $80 technology fee. This fee provides access to all required software, including the Microsoft Office Professional Suite, SPSS, and the latest plug-ins used for courses, plus access to technical support via phone, email, and web, and complete support for the online learning environment.
- Additional costs include textbooks each term and a graduation fee in the final term of enrollment.
- Summer Housing for Master of Science - Professional School Counseling program. Dormitory rooms complete with central kitchen facilities are available at a modest daily rate during the four week summer session on the BVU campus.
- Federal Direct Loans are available to students who complete a Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and enroll at least half-time in college. The Budget Control Act eliminated the availability of Federal Direct Subsidized Loans to graduate and professional students effective for loans made for periods of enrollment (loan periods) on or after July 1, 2012 and the availability of certain repayment incentives for loans made on or after July 1, 2012. The annual loan limit for graduate and professional students remains unchanged at $20,500, but this amount will now be limited to Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans. With a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan, students are responsible for all interest charges upon receipt of the loan. The interest rate for a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan is 5.41%. The aggregate maximum a graduate or professional student may borrow is $138,500. No more that $65,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans. The graduate debt limit includes all federal loans received for undergraduate study.
- Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loans are available to graduate or professional degree students enrolled at least half-time at an eligible school in a program leading to a degree or certificate. A credit check will be performed during the application process. If you are eligible for the Direct Grad PLUS Loan, you will be required to sign a Master Promissory Note, agreeing to the terms of the loan. Graduate and professional students will also be required to complete entrance counseling before receiving a Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loan. The maximum PLUS loan amount graduate students can borrow is the cost of attendance minus any other financial assistance received. The fixed interest rate for a Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loan is 6.41%. There is also an origination fee of 4.204%. As a graduate & professional student, your loan will be placed into deferment while you are enrolled at least half-time and for an additional six months after you cease to be enrolled at least half-time.
- Alternative Loans (private education loans) are also an option for graduate students. To see your options and to apply, go to www.bvu.edu/loans and click on the alternative loan tab. This will take you to the FASTCHOICE web site where you can compare different lender loans and see what option works best for you.
- Enrollment - Federal loan eligibility is restricted to students who are enrolled in a program as a half-time student. Half-time status in the M.S.Ed. program is defined as three credit hours per semester. To qualify for a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan, fill out the online FAFSA, Free Application for Federal Student Aid - after January 1.
Please contact the Office of Financial Assistance at Buena Vista University, 800.383.2821, ext. 2164, for more information or visit BVU's Financial Assistance website.
For more information, visit the Iowa College Student Aid Commission web site.
After all financial assistance is applied to the student account, students will be expected to pay the balance prior to the first class meeting. Students may pay:
- by mailing a check covering the tuition for the course (be sure to indicate the course number and title) to:
Buena Vista University
610 W. Fourth St.
Storm Lake, IA 50588
- by phoning the Business Office at 800.383.2821, ext. 2041 to make payments by credit card.
- in person at the Business Office. Cash, checks and the following credit cards are accepted: American Express, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa.