Minor | 21 credit hours

Credits shown here reflect the number required to graduate for the given major. Your actual number of required credits may be higher or lower depending on your previous college experience. The actual number of credits you will need to graduate from BVU will be determined by a free official transcript evaluation.

The psychology minor prepares you for graduate training in psychology, counseling, school psychology, and social work, as well as being able to start as the basis for other advanced medical degrees. Understanding the human mind can help another person in distress, assist in breaking down a new market through advertising, or help diffuse a dangerous situation peacefully. It's amazing how far the mind (and its study) can take you.

Employment opportunities include:

  • Psychologist or Psychiatrist
  • Police officer
  • Occupational counselor
  • Marriage and family therapist

Psychology minors must receive a grade of C- or higher in the following course:

  • PSYC 100 General Psychology or PSYC 102 The Science of Psychology


Psychology Courses (Choose 2 from)

  • PSYC 201 Child Development
  • PSYC 203 Social Psychology
  • PSYC 220 Behavior Modification
  • PSYC 230 Sleep and Dreams
  • PSYC 239 Abnormal Psychology
  • PSYC 265 Health Psychology
  • PSYC 281 Introduction to Biological Psychology
  • PSYC 291 Learning and Memory

Psychology Upper Level Classes (Choose 2 from)

  • PSYC 329 Psychology of Gender
  • PSYC 364 Industrial Psychology
  • PSYC 369 Psychology of Personality
  • PSYC 389 Introduction to Counseling
  • PSYC 415 Sensation and Perception
  • PSYC 429 Stereotypes and Prejudice
  • PSYC 440 Cognition
  • PSYC 480 Advanced Research

Psychology Electives

  • Psychology electives (to reach 21 credit hours in psychology)

Tuition & Fees

Undergrad Tuition

2016-17 Tuition:
$413 per credit hour
2017-18 Tuition:
$421 per credit hour

How to Apply

Admissions Requirements

BVU's degree completion programs are classified as junior-senior level. Persons who have completed an associate degree or 60 credit hours from a regionally accredited institution qualify for admission. College level examination program credits (CLEP) and life experience credit may be available as described in the academic section. 

Application Process

  1. Although personal interviews are not required, applicants are urged to confer with an advisor.
  2. Request that official transcript(s) from each college or university previously attended be sent to the BVU. Without official transcripts and records, a student will not be allowed to register beyond the initial semester.
  3. Complete the BVU Degree Completion Application
  4. If you will be applying for financial assistance including student loans, complete the Free Application for Federal Financial Student Aid (FAFSA) at
  5. Students who have previously earned a B.A. or B.S. degree may be eligible to earn a second bachelor’s degree from Buena Vista University. 

Financial Aid

Financial Assistance is available to qualified students at our traditional campus and to students taking degree completion and graduate coursework. All students are encouraged to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid at The FAFSA is processed by the U.S. Department of Education. You may request to have your FAFSA results sent to BVU. Even if you are currently unsure if you will attend, completing this free application will help determine your financial need.

BVU's institution code: 001847


Grants are funds that do not have to be repaid. Click on a grant below to see more information.

Federal Pell Grants vary based on financial need. Individual awards are determined based on federal formula. Payment is calculated for full-time enrollment (12 or more hours per semester), three-quarter-time enrollment (9-11 hours per semester), or half-time enrollment (6-8 hours per semester). Students enrolled less than half-time may also be eligible. To be considered for a Federal Pell Grant, the results of your valid aid applications (FASFA) must be received while your are still enrolled. Students enrolled in summer courses may be entitled to Federal Pell Grant funds for that enrollment. Students with prior baccalaureate degrees are not eligible. There is a 6 year limit on funding per individual. Learn more about Federal Pell Grants.


The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program provides up to $4,000 per year in grants for graduate and undergraduate students who intend to teach full-time in high-need subject areas for at least four years at schools that serve students from low-income families. Students must meet all eligibility requirements.

Iowa Tuition Grants (ITG) are available to eligible residents of Iowa attending private institutions. Iowa Tuition Grants are available, based on financial need, for full-time undergraduate study and for less than full-time enrollment. The grant may be renewable for a total of eight full-time semesters of study and may be used for tuition only. Application deadline is normally July 1. Learn more about Iowa Tuition Grants.
Available to many students through Vocational Rehabilitation, Social Services, Commission for the Blind, Bureau of Indian Affairs, and other programs. For more information, contact the agency counselors directly.


Phi Theta Kappa Scholarships

Phi Theta Kappa transfer scholarships are also available for those who qualify.


Loans are made to students at low interest rates and must be repaid, but generally payments are not due until the student has completed his or her education or ceases at least half-time enrollment.

Tuition Reimbursements

Tuition Reimbursements are available through many area employers. Many companies will pay part or all of an employee's educational costs. Check with your company's benefits representative to see if you qualify. All tuition reimbursement benefits must be reported to the Office of Financial Assistance.

G.I. Bill and Yellow Ribbon Program.

All programs are approved for the G.I. Bill and Yellow Ribbon Program.

Have more questions?

In addition to the above information, our staff is happy to answer any questions you have about applying for financial aid. If you are in need of financial assistance, such as college scholarships in Iowa or scholarships for adults returning to college, please contact us at 712.749.1000 to receive more information about how affordable our programs can be.

Contact Us

Phone: 712.749.1000
Fax: 712.749.1470

Buena Vista University
610 W. Fourth Street
Storm Lake, IA 50588