61 credit hours
Credits shown here reflect the number required to graduate for the given major. Your actual number of required credits may be higher or lower depending on your previous college experience. The actual number of credits you will need to graduate from BVU will be determined by a free official transcript evaluation.
When a product hits the sales floor, only a percentage of its success depends on the product itself. In our modern, multi-media world, a large portion of a product's success or failure comes from the image it projects and how potential customers learn about it. Whether an iPhone, a video game, fitness water, or new household product - its sales are largely dependent on how well customers come to know and like it. The modern marketer must intimately know the potential customer, the psychological and societal dynamics that feed their decision making, and the factors that will motivate them to a purchase. Buena Vista University’s marketing major gives you the knowledge and insight to keep your finger on the consumer pulse and understand what it takes to plan, release, and advertise a product, functions essential to all major industries.
Employment opportunities in the marketing and advertising industry include:
- Public relations manager
- Marketing director
- Creative director
Individuals interested in adult learning and looking for a marketing college in Iowa have the opportunity to complete their degree through our hybrid, online and evening classes. Enjoy the benefits of our marketing program at our Graduate & Professional Studies locations, which could include attending classes at your local community college. We are the perfect choice for adults looking for public relations schools or marketing programs in Iowa.
Common Business Core
- ACCT 205 Financial Accounting
- ACCT 206 Managerial Accounting
- ECON 205 Principles of Microeconomics
- ECON 206 Principles of Macroeconomics
- FNBK 306 Managerial Finance
- MATH 140 Elementary Applied Statistics
- MGMT 206 Management Science
- MGMT 306 Principles of Management
- MGMT 315 Business Law I
- MGMT 492 Business Policy and Strategy
- MRKT 306 Principles of Marketing
Marketing Major Courses
- MGMT 307 International Business
- MRKT 340 Business Marketing
- MRKT 355 Consumer Behavior
- MRKT 418 Market Research
- MRKT 432 Strategic Marketing
- MRKT 495 Marketing Internship
Marketing Electives (choose 2 courses from)
- MRKT 350 Retailing
- MRKT 353 Field Experiences in Sports Marketing and Management
- MRKT 354 Sports Marketing
- MRKT 400 Practicum in Marketing Problems/ Small Business Institute (SBI)
- MRKT 407 International Marketing
- MRKT 410 E-Commerce
- MRKT 414 Selling
- MRKT 415 Sales Management
Marketing Course (choose 1 course from)
- ACCT 309 Cost Accounting
- COMM 230 Business and Professional Communication
- COMM 302 Intercultural Communication
- COMM 355 Conflict Management
- DIGI 230 Introduction to Integrated Communications
- FNBK 322 Analysis of Financial Statement
- MGMT 320 Human Resource Management
Marketing Recommended Support Work
- Florida interim
- International interim
Tuition & Fees
2014-15 Tuition:$390 per credit hour
2015-16 Tuition:$402 per credit hour
How to Apply
Programs within BVU Graduate & Professional Studies are classified as junior-senior level. Persons who have completed an associate degree or 60 credit hours from a regionally accredited institution qualify for admission. College level examination program credits (CLEP) and life experience credit may be available as described in the academic section.
- Although personal interviews are not required, applicants are urged to confer with an advisor.
- Request that official transcript(s) from each college or university previously attended be sent to the BVU Graduate & Professional Studies site office. Without official transcripts and records, a student will not be allowed to register beyond the initial semester.
- Complete the BVU Graduate & Professional Studies application form
- If you will be applying for financial assistance including student loans, complete the Free Application for Federal Financial Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.gov.
- Students who have previously earned a B.A. or B.S. degree may be eligible to earn a second bachelor’s degree from Buena Vista University. Guidelines are available from the BVU Graduate & Professional Studies office.
Financial Assistance is available to qualified students at our traditional campus and to students taking undergraduate and graduate coursework at our Graduate & Professional Studies locations. All students are encouraged to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid at www.fafsa.ed.gov. The FAFSA is processed by the U.S. Department of Education. You may request to have your FAFSA results sent to BVU. Even if you are currently unsure if you will attend, completing this free application will help determine your financial need.
BVU's institution code: 001847
Grants are funds that do not have to be repaid. Click on a grant below to see more information.
The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program provides up to $4,000 per year in grants for graduate and undergraduate students who intend to teach full-time in high-need subject areas for at least four years at schools that serve students from low-income families. Students must meet all eligibility requirements.
Phi Theta Kappa Scholarships
Phi Theta Kappa transfer scholarships are also available for those who qualify.
Loans are made to students at low interest rates and must be repaid, but generally payments are not due until the student has completed his or her education or ceases at least half-time enrollment.
Tuition Reimbursements are available through many area employers. Many companies will pay part or all of an employee's educational costs. Check with your company's benefits representative to see if you qualify. All tuition reimbursement benefits must be reported to the Office of Financial Assistance.
G.I. Bill and Yellow Ribbon Program.
All programs are approved for the G.I. Bill and Yellow Ribbon Program.
Have more questions?
In addition to the above information, our staff is happy to answer any questions you have about applying for financial aid. If you are in need of financial assistance, such as college scholarships in Iowa or scholarships for adults returning to college, please contact us at 712.749.1000 to receive more information about how affordable our programs can be.
Technology Requirements for Online Courses
- Operating System: Windows Vista, 7 or 8. Or Macintosh OS X with RAM at or above OS recommendations
- Processor: A PC with a Pentium IV or newer, or a Macintosh with a G3 or newer
- Internet Connection: DSL or cable modem (high speed internet) Dial-up will not be sufficient.
- Browser: Internet Explorer 7+, Mozilla Firefox 3+, Safari, Chrome.
- Software: A current installation of Java (Java.com). Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint are required, (Microsoft Office XP, 2003, 2007, 2010 on Windows or Microsoft Office 2001, 2004, 2008, or 2011 for the Macintosh). Newer versions are recommended (Microsoft Office 2007, 2010 on Windows or Microsoft Office 2008, or 2011 for the Macintosh).