Secondary Education Licensure
Teacher Endorsement | Teacher Certification |

Credits shown here reflect the number required to graduate for the given major. Your actual number of required credits may be higher or lower depending on your previous college experience. The actual number of credits you will need to graduate from BVU will be determined by a free official transcript evaluation.

  • Council Bluffs
  • Creston
  • Denison
  • Emmetsburg
  • Estherville
  • Fort Dodge
  • Marshalltown
  • Mason City
  • Ottumwa
  • Spencer
  • Spirit Lake
  • You may have worked in your field for a while. You know it inside out, and while the subject excites you, you're looking for a change, something more rewarding - like teaching. BVU provides individuals with an existing bachelor's degree a teacher licensure in a variety of subjects.

    This certification program recognizes the work you've put into your bachelor's degree and applies the University's current programming structure to move you through the major steps of a teaching certification quickly so that you can get into the classroom.

    If your bachelor's degree and coursework in a subject area satisfies one of the State's secondary teaching endorsements, you're already on your way to gaining your Iowa teaching endorsements and certification to teach secondary school. The certification program is available contingent upon the availability of student teaching placements in that particular field. 

    This program has been approved by the Iowa Department of Education and requires completion of all portfolio requirements assigned to the courses whether the course was completed within the program or transferred.


    Secondary Education Licensure

    Secondary education licensure requires a content major in a certifiable teaching area and completion of the following six components:

    • Intellectual Explorations, Intellectual Foundations, and university graduation requirements 
    • The education core
    • Secondary education support work
    • SEDU 365 Methods of Reading in the Content Areas
    • The secondary methods course(s) in your chosen discipline including the field experience 
    • Student teaching in your chosen discipline 

    Secondary Education Support Work

    As the Intellectual Explorations and Intellectual Foundations of the university are met, the following must be selected for support work:

    • 3 credit hours of biological science
    • COMM 100 Fundamentals of Communication
    • 3 credit hours of physical science 
    • PSCN 110 Introduction to American Government or PSPA 320 State and Local Politics or U.S. History Course 

    Secondary Education Methods Courses

    Students must take the methods course related to their major. In addition, if one desires to add another secondary teaching endorsement, the methods course for that endorsement must be taken. Most secondary methods courses are offered every other year.

    • SEDU 402 Methods of Teaching Secondary Business and Field Experience
    • SEDU 411 Methods of Teaching Secondary English Language Arts and Field Experience
    • SEDU 441 Methods of Teaching Secondary Social Science and Field Experience

    Secondary Education Reading Strategies

    • SEDU 365 Methods of Reading in the Content Areas

    Secondary Education Student Teaching

    • SEDU 490 Professional Seminar III: Secondary Student Teaching

    Tuition & Fees

    How to Apply

    Admissions Requirements

    BVU's degree completion programs are classified as junior-senior level. Persons who have completed an associate degree or 60 credit hours from a regionally accredited institution qualify for admission. College level examination program credits (CLEP) and life experience credit may be available as described in the academic section. 

    Application Process

    1. Although personal interviews are not required, applicants are urged to confer with an advisor.
    2. Request that official transcript(s) from each college or university previously attended be sent to the BVU. Without official transcripts and records, a student will not be allowed to register beyond the initial semester.
    3. Complete the BVU Degree Completion Application
    4. If you will be applying for financial assistance including student loans, complete the Free Application for Federal Financial Student Aid (FAFSA) at
    5. Students who have previously earned a B.A. or B.S. degree may be eligible to earn a second bachelor’s degree from Buena Vista University. 

    Financial Aid

    Financial Assistance is available to qualified students at our traditional campus and to students taking degree completion and graduate coursework. All students are encouraged to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid at The FAFSA is processed by the U.S. Department of Education. You may request to have your FAFSA results sent to BVU. Even if you are currently unsure if you will attend, completing this free application will help determine your financial need.

    BVU's institution code: 001847


    Grants are funds that do not have to be repaid. Click on a grant below to see more information.

    Federal Pell Grants vary based on financial need. Individual awards are determined based on federal formula. Payment is calculated for full-time enrollment (12 or more hours per semester), three-quarter-time enrollment (9-11 hours per semester), or half-time enrollment (6-8 hours per semester). Students enrolled less than half-time may also be eligible. To be considered for a Federal Pell Grant, the results of your valid aid applications (FASFA) must be received while your are still enrolled. Students enrolled in summer courses may be entitled to Federal Pell Grant funds for that enrollment. Students with prior baccalaureate degrees are not eligible. There is a 6 year limit on funding per individual. Learn more about Federal Pell Grants.

    TEACH Grant

    The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program provides up to $4,000 per year in grants for graduate and undergraduate students who intend to teach full-time in high-need subject areas for at least four years at schools that serve students from low-income families. Students must meet all eligibility requirements.

    Iowa Tuition Grants (ITG) are available to eligible residents of Iowa attending private institutions. Iowa Tuition Grants are available, based on financial need, for full-time undergraduate study and for less than full-time enrollment. The grant may be renewable for a total of eight full-time semesters of study and may be used for tuition only. Application deadline is normally July 1. Learn more about Iowa Tuition Grants.
    Available to many students through Vocational Rehabilitation, Social Services, Commission for the Blind, Bureau of Indian Affairs, and other programs. For more information, contact the agency counselors directly.


    Phi Theta Kappa Scholarships

    Phi Theta Kappa transfer scholarships are also available for those who qualify.


    Loans are made to students at low interest rates and must be repaid, but generally payments are not due until the student has completed his or her education or ceases at least half-time enrollment.

    Tuition Reimbursements

    Tuition Reimbursements are available through many area employers. Many companies will pay part or all of an employee's educational costs. Check with your company's benefits representative to see if you qualify. All tuition reimbursement benefits must be reported to the Office of Financial Assistance.

    G.I. Bill and Yellow Ribbon Program.

    All programs are approved for the G.I. Bill and Yellow Ribbon Program.

    Have more questions?

    In addition to the above information, our staff is happy to answer any questions you have about applying for financial aid. If you are in need of financial assistance, such as college scholarships in Iowa or scholarships for adults returning to college, please contact us at 712.749.1000 to receive more information about how affordable our programs can be.

    Contact Us

    Phone: 712.749.1000
    Fax: 712.749.1470

    Buena Vista University
    610 W. Fourth Street
    Storm Lake, IA 50588