Graduate Programs - How To Apply
1. Complete the online application form, including auto-biographical statements.
2. Answer three autobiographical questions:
- Describe significant personal experiences that influenced you to pursue the counseling profession.
- Describe significant professional experiences that influenced you to pursue the counseling profession.
- Discuss how you would make a contribution as a professional school counselor to the counseling profession, both within a local school district and the profession at large or as a mental health counselor to the counseling profession both within the local community and the profession at large.
2. Obtain 3 letters with supportive endorsement or recommendation from:
Three letters of recommendation from supervisors, colleagues or former university instructors are required to complete your application package. Please print this form and submit to the Graduate Program Office after completion. Letters of recommendation are due prior to the application deadline to be eligible for consideration. Download the letter of recommendation form.
4. Prepare for and take the BVU analytical writing assessment test, as arranged by the graduate specialist following submission of the application.
Professional School Counseling
A new cohort begins each January. Applicants are encouraged to submit application materials as early as possible, but no later than the November 15 deadline. The Admissions Committee will review completed applications after the November 15 deadline, and notice regarding the admission decision will be mailed by November 25.
Mental Health Counseling
A new cohort begins each August. Applicants are encouraged to submit application materials as early as possible, but no later than the May 15 deadline preceding the first fall course. The Admissions Committee will review completed applications following the May 15 deadline, and notice regarding the admission decision will be mailed shortly thereafter.