2. New students with no ACT Mathematics score:
- 1. New students with an ACT Mathematics score:
- 1.1 For purposes of summer registration, new students requiring mathematics placement will be placed into Category One, Category Two, or Category Three according to their ACT Mathematics score, with cutoffs determined by the mathematics faculty.
- 1.2 These students, upon consultation, may “self-place” into a lower level category, or take a mathematics course corresponding to a lower level, if they feel their mathematics skills require refreshing at the lower level.
- 1.3 In the several August days before the beginning of classes, students who feel their ACT-based placement is too low may opt to take the traditional BVU Mathematics Placement Examination.
- The Mathematics Placement Examination will be prepared, administered, and graded by the mathematics faculty or their designees.
- One hour will be allowed for the examination.
- The examination will follow a traditional “pencil-and paper” and “show your work” format, and be graded accordingly. Calculators will not be necessary, nor will they be allowed.
- The examination will be offered only TWICE during this time period on dates and times determined by the Office of the Dean of Faculty and the mathematics faculty.
- Students requesting the traditional placement examination:
- May take the examination only once.
- Must sign up prior to their chosen testing time.
- May take the examination only prior to their first semester of enrollment.
- Results will be made available for timely adjustment of course schedules.
- Results will be forwarded to the Registrar’s Office for possible upward placement changes.
3. The Office of the Dean of Faculty will assure that students are informed of the mathematics placement process, the options available to students, the nature of the examination, and the dates, times, sign-up requirements and restrictions on the “test-up” option outlined in 1.3 above. Consistent with previous practice and the BVU Foundational Skills in Mathematics requirement, the Mathematics Placement Examination will assess skills for placement as follows:
- 2.1 These students must take the traditional Mathematics Placement Examination as
- Category One. Review and conceptual development in arithmetic oriented areas needed: fractions, ratios, proportions, percentages, basic geometry, signed numbers.
- Category Two. Review and conceptual development in algebra related areas needed: algebraic concepts, factoring, solving equations, graphs and graphing, exponents and radicals.
- Category Three. Basic arithmetic and algebra skills are adequate to proceed to other Mathematics courses (Precalculus, Mathematics for the Liberal Arts, Mathematics for Elementary Education, Discrete Mathematics, Elementary Applied Statistics, etc.)