Software Maintenance Routine
If you want to keep your computer running as efficiently as possible, it is important that you establish a maintenance routine for both your hardware components and your software. On this page, we will discuss tips and tricks for keeping your operating system running as best as possible. Remember that you are always welcome to contact 2fix and ask for help.
Routinely clear your Internet browser’s cache. While keeping items in your Internet Cache helps load websites that you have been to faster, it may be ignoring updates to a website (unless you actively refresh the page). Clearing these files will give your computer more disk space and memory.
Here are instructions based on your browser type:
- Go to Tools (the gear icon) -> Internet Options.
- On the General tab, under Browsing History, click on 'Delete' to purge your cache.
- Go to Tools -> Clear Recent History.
- Select your time range. This includes Last Hour, Last Two Hours, Last Four Hours, Today, and Everything.
- Under details, select what items you would like cleared. This includes Browsing & Downloading History, Form & Search History, Cookies, Cache, Active Logins, and Site Preferences.
- Click 'Clear Now.'
- Click on the wrench icon and go to Tools -> Clear Browsing Data.
- Select your time range. This includes The Past Hour, The Past Day, The Past Week, The Last 4 Weeks, and The Beginning of Time.
- Select what items you would like cleared. This includes Clear Browsing History, Clear Download History, Empty The Cache, Delete Cookies and Other Site and Plug-In Data, Clear Saved Passwords, and Clear Saved Autofill Form Data.
- Click 'Clear Browsing Data.'
- Click on the gear icon and go to Reset Safari.
- Select the options that you want cleared. This includes Clear History, Reset Top Sites, Remove All Webpage Preview Images, Empty the Cache, Clear the Downloads Window, Remove All Cookies, Remove All Website Icons, Remove Saved Names and Passwords, Remove Other AutoFill Form Text, Close All Safari Windows, and Reset All Location Warnings.
- Click 'Reset.'
User Account Maintenance
- Update passwords to your accounts whenever you feel that you have been compromised. If any compromised accounts relate to BVU accounts, please contact 2fix or any organization related to your account. You can learn how to update your password at the Managing Your Passwords website.
- Keep up to date on all social media scams. This includes links to photos or videos of either shocking content or celebrities. Clicking on these links may allow external agents to use your accounts and your computer to further propagate their scams. If you have clicked on these links, make sure to switch your password as soon as possible and warn others about your experience.
- Know what software you have installed and what software we provide. We’d recommend not uninstalling our software, but if you want to uninstall anything that you are not using that you have installed, please do so.
- Do not engage in any activities that would put either yourself or the university at risk for litigation. This includes illegally downloading or distributing any form of media, including movies, music, video games, and books.
- If you have a Windows based system, make sure that you routinely run the Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter programs. Disk Cleanup deletes unnecessary files from your computer, while Disk Defragmenter moves clusters of data closer together so that computers can store and retrieve data with greater ease. Both of these programs can be found by clicking on the Windows button, then typing either “Disk Cleanup” or “Disk Defragmenter” in the search bar just above your cursor. On Apple systems, you can use Disk Utility to perform these tasks.