Buena Vista University seeks applicants for a position in TESL/TESOL at the assistant professor level on a tenure track, with duties to begin in August, 2014. Earned doctorate (Ph.D. or Ed.D.) in appropriate discipline strongly preferred; A.B.D. considered with clear completion timeline. Doctorate required for tenure.
Applicants must be committed to excellence in teaching undergraduate and graduate courses, as well as being prepared to play a coordination role with respect to the delivery of our master’s degree in curriculum and instruction. The selected candidate will:
- Teach TESL courses at the undergraduate and graduate level
- Teach using distance education platforms and face-to-face courses
- Initiate and maintain strong relationships with PK-12 districts
- Provide leadership for graduate programs in C+I
- Actively collaborate with other faculty & staff involved with the international student program, including fostering opportunities for education students to work with international students on their language skills
- Supervise field experiences including student teaching
- Advise students throughout their program and when conducting research
- Participate in campus committee work
- Participate in the field at a local, state, and national level
- Demonstrate excellent understanding of second language acquisition, ELL assessment and legal issues, as well as knowledge of culture, life styles and the educational and social needs of diverse students
- Demonstrate knowledge and experience with integrating technology as teaching and learning tools
- Possess a working knowledge of common core standards
PK-12 teaching experience strongly preferred.
Send letter of application, copies of graduate school transcripts (official copies required for appointment), a statement of teaching philosophy, teaching evaluation summaries, current vita, and three letters of reference to Dr. David Evans, Vice President for Academic Affairs, Buena Vista University, 610 West Fourth Street, Storm Lake, IA, 50588 or e-mail email@example.com. Review of applications is ongoing and will continue until the position is filled.
A background check will be conducted on the final candidate. Buena Vista University is an EOE/ADA/Smoke-Free Employer, and especially welcomes applications from individuals who will contribute to any aspect of the university’s diversity.
Buena Vista University is an Equal Opportunity/Americans with Disabilities Act/Smoke-Free Employer.