Step-By-Step Guide to Self-Managed Credentials
Maintaining Your Confidential Credential File
Request for Release of Non-Confidential Credential File
Eliminate a Confidential Credential File
Request Confidential Credential File to be Sent to Employer
The Buena Vista University Career Services has changed to a Self-Managed Credential file system, and we encourage all credential file holders, including those that were created as confidential files, to change to a Self-Managed File. Employers expect letters of reference to be current - within 2-3 years of writing. Any confidential letters still in your file will be at least 5 years old.
You may, however, elect to keep your confidential file with Career Services, and we will continue to fill your requests to send your files to prospective employers.
Your file is stored at Career Services for 10 years from LAST DAY OF USE OR ADDITION OF NEW LETTER(S). After 10 years, files will be destroyed.
Letters added to a confidential file after December 1999 are non-confidential. You may request that non-confidential letters be returned to you, along with an unofficial "Issued to Student" transcript, by submitting Permission to Eliminate Confidential Credential File request. We will shred the rest of the contents of your confidential file.
If you elect to maintain your file with us, a recommendation form is available online. Ask your writer to write directly on the online form, print and sign it, and ask for a copy to be sent to you. You or your writer should forward a copy to Career Services, Buena Vista University, 610 W. Fourth Street, Storm Lake, IA 50588. The reference writer's school or company letterhead is also acceptable. All recommendations must be SIGNED.
- You may delete specific recommendations by contacting Career Services.
- A recommendation writer may request removal of his/her letter.
- Contact Career Services periodically to see if letters have been received in our office.
You may request your credentials here.
Email requests to email@example.com.
Fax requests to 712.749.2036
Mail requests to Career Services, Buena Vista University, 610 West Fourth Street, Storm Lake, IA 50588
Please allow up to 3 business days for credentials to be mailed. Although they are usually sent out within 1 business day.
- You can make all changes to your cover sheet by updating the downloadable Word file (on our site: Education Majors or All Other Majors) and mailing it to: Career Services, Buena Vista University, 610 West Fourth Street, Storm Lake, IA 50588.
- Once changes are made, you are strongly encouraged to review your data and recommendations.
- Be sure to keep your name, address, and phone number current while in a job search.
- YOU ASSUME RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE ACCURACY AND COMPLETENESS OF YOUR FILE.