The purpose of the resource management system is to catalog available resources and direct them to areas of need in the most efficient and productive manner possible.
Buena Vista University does not possess the capability and resources to cope with a major disaster without outside help and resources. Public and private sector organizations and groups would be relied on to provide some resources.
Assumptions and Planning Factors
During an emergency period many resources of all types, both from within and from outside the institution, will become available. Public and private sector organizations and groups will be an important part of the resource management system.
Organization / Responsibilities
- Prior to a disaster or emergency, the BVU EMC shall have prepared and maintained a resource inventory listing resources by source and quantity for the institution.
- The EOT through the PIO will use the media to try to minimize the disruption caused by volunteer resources within the disaster area and by the unrequested appearance of resources from without the disaster area.
- If the available resources are inadequate to meet the need of the institution, the EOT will determine the allocation of the resources including:
- Temporary shelter
- Emergency health services
- Water, fuel, and power supply
- Emergency repair and restoration of damaged vital facilities
Concept of Operations
The EOT is responsible for providing administrative guidance and support concerning resource management and utilizing volunteers. Requests for personnel and equipment must be channeled through the EOT.
Administration and Logistics
Records will be maintained for accounting of materials and supplies used and funds expended in support of emergency or disaster operations.
Resource Management Emergency Response Checklist
- Maintain local resource list
- Establish resource coordination methods/procedures with other agencies
- Implement resource management procedures
- Provide overall coordination of resource management activities
- Document any costs related to used resources
- Coordinate return of resources obtained under mutual aid
- Determine resource needs to sustain recovery
- Determine costs
- Emergency Shelter
- Food and Potable Water
- Utilities (Gas, Water, Electric)
- Health (Medical)