Credit for all arts and sciences courses will normally be accepted at Buena Vista University from a school with accreditation by any of the following regional accrediting associations:
- New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
- Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges
Official evaluations of past academic work will be made free of charge after all official transcripts of previous work have reached our Office of Admissions.
Course credits not used toward a major/minor or general education are treated as electives. The actual number of transfer credits accepted toward the major/minor are determined by the Registrar’s Office, in consultation with the appropriate school dean.
A minimum of 128 credit hours is required for graduation. The final 30 credit hours must be completed at Buena Vista University. Transferred course work may be used to satisfy institutional course requirements in the major, minor, concentration, general education or elective categories. The actual equivalency or appropriateness of a specific transfer course for the major, minor, concentration or general education area is determined by the Registrar’s Office in consultation with the appropriate school dean.
Credits earned at a regionally accredited college or university will be eligible for review for transfer to Buena Vista University. The evaluation for transfer will include the following criteria:
- Relevance to the curricular program at BVU.
- Transferability of coursework will be determined by the Registrar’s Office in consultation with the appropriate school dean.
- BVU recognizes associate of arts degrees and selected associate of science and associate of applied science degrees. Credit will be evaluated based on criteria described in this policy.
- Coursework from all other associate degrees will be evaluated on a course-by-course basis.
- While not normally accepted in transfer, selected vocational/technical credit may be accepted as elective hours after review by the registrar. A maximum of 16 credit hours of vocational/technical credit will be accepted. Credit from proprietary or non-regionally accredited institutions is generally not accepted in transfer.
- BVU recognizes successfully completed “arts and sciences” coursework and will make appropriate notations on the official transcript. Students are required to complete a minimum of 60 credit hours from a four-year (baccalaureate) institution and a minimum of 30 credit hours from BVU, therefore, a maximum of 98 credit hours will be applied toward the degree, of which no more than 68 may be from a two-year college.
- A student’s cumulative grade point average will include BVU credits only. Grades earned at other institutions are not reflected on the BVU official transcript.