BVU students and faculty attending the ICMA annual meeting in Des Moines visited Meredith Publishing where they were given a tour by Michelle Rubin, Class of 1993, an editor at the company. Inset: Makensie Brown’s first-place sports photo.
Buena Vista University students and The Tack, the student newspaper, received several awards at the Iowa College Media Association (ICMA) annual conference in Des Moines in early February.
“It's always exciting to see The Tack, KBVU and University Cable Network Studios (UCN) do well at the ICMA awards, and it really is a great way to honor the students' hard work and dedication to those organizations,” says Jamii Claiborne, assistant professor of digital media. “It's also exciting to see the ICMA develop so many new online and multimedia award categories that recognize the changes in the newspaper industry and, in turn, in the ways we should be preparing our students. Our new digital media major, just launched this year, aligns so well with all of this, including a new social media course we're offering and the overall curriculum we've built to prepare students to be multimedia storytellers.”
BVU students receiving awards were:
- Best documentary (long form) to High School Music Trip: A World Performance by UCN Studios student producers Darren Johnson, senior digital media major from Storm Lake, and Mark Haugen, senior digital media and music major from Waverly.
- Best sports photo to Makensie Brown, sophomore graphic design and Spanish double major from Huxley.
- Best use of social media to Kylie Swanson, junior English and media studies double major from Coin.
- Best original online content to The Tack.
- Best online breaking story to Savannah Thompson, Class of 2011
- Best multimedia slide show to Makensie Brown and Brandy Zumbach, sophomore graphic design major from Coggon.
- Best use of social media to Kelsey Reitmeier, senior marketing and graphic design double major from Sioux City.
- Best online edition to The Tack.
- Most robust online community to Kelsey Reitmeier.
- Best on-air personality (KBVU campus radio) to Jessica Fluke, senior media studies major from Quimby.
- Best profile to Kristin Tripp, Class of 2011.
- Best inside page design to The Tack.
- Best online breaking story to Kimberly Nelson, junior English major from Garnavillo.