At Buena Vista University, we realize that a college education is one of the most important investments you and your family will make. We also recognize that affordability is important. Our goal is to provide you with a quality education that is also affordable. By providing a variety of financial resources, we allow you to choose the college that bests meets your educational goals, rather than choosing the college with the lowest "sticker price."
To apply for financial assistance:
- Complete the FAFSA (Free Application For Federal Aid) to apply for federal and state aid. This is a free process.
- Go online by using the FAFSA on the web. You will need a FSA ID (federal student aid identification) to sign the application electronically. If you do not have a FSA ID or have forgotten it, you may go to the FSA ID website and request one or that a reminder be sent if you already have one: fsaid.ed.gov. If you are a dependent student, at least one parent also needs a FSA ID.
- Students must be admitted to the college prior to being awarded financial assistance (new students only).
- Prepare to submit your FAFSA as soon after October 1 (prior to your year of entry) as possible. Be aware of deadlines. Some funds are limited and are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Use estimated tax information if necessary. BVU's priority deadline is June 1 for federal campus-based funding.
- If you have filed your FAFSA electronically, you should receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) within 3 days. If you have not received a SAR, check your status at www.fafsa.gov. Review your SAR and make any necessary corrections. BVU will also receive the results of your FAFSA and we will use this information to determine your financial aid eligibility.
- We may request additional information from you. Make sure you respond promptly to the request. Some of those students who complete the FAFSA will be selected for a process called verification. Don't be alarmed if you are selected. BVU will need tax documents and a completed Verification Worksheet before we can finalize your financial aid award. If you have questions on what it is we need, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- New students will receive their awards on a rolling basis, beginning in March. Returner awards that are completed, will be sent through Campus Connect beginning in April. Review your award carefully and make sure you understand the terms and conditions and ask questions if you have any concerns.
- If you intend to take advantage of loans or our payment plan, additional applications or promissory notes may be required.