Biochemistry is at the interface between the life and physical sciences, and students who can grasp both areas and understand how they interrelate are at a distinct advantage over students who focus on studying one area. For example, understanding cardiovascular disorders and how to treat them medically requires knowledge of anatomy, physiology, molecular biology, chemistry, and physics.
Students who graduate with this major can pursue careers in:
- Biomedical research
- Pharmaceutical research and sales
- Medicine and other health professions like optometry, dentistry, and radiology
- Biotechnology research
Talk to Us
We'd love to get to know you. Tell us a bit about yourself, and we'll be in touch with the scoop about BVU.
Biochemistry students study complex processes and understand them from all angles, which makes them highly desirable graduates. The program has a 100% placement rate into professional schools.
Make it happen
The Rural Health Fellowship for pharmacy and URMED Fellowship for medicine are unique to BVU and provide students with stipends to defray the costs of taking placement exams and applying to professional school.
Students frequently carry out research projects in collaboration with scientists at The Mayo Clinic, The Chinese Academy of Sciences, National Taiwan University, and The University of Nebraska Lincoln.
All students are required to complete a multi-semester research project, which is valuable in helping BVU students stand out from students at other colleges when applying for admission to graduate and professional programs.
What Sets us Apart
BVU’s research facilities are outstanding. Our students generate 3D images of cells using a confocal microscope, measure RNA levels and gene expression using real-time polymerase chain reaction technology, and can work with tumor cells to do experiments at Mayo Clinic. The 70,000 square-foot Estelle Siebens Science Center contains 18 labs and three research areas, including:
- Nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscope (NMR)
- Gas chromatography-mass spectrometer (GC-MS)
- Confocal Microscope
- Gene guns
- Human Cadaver Lab
- Sterile hoods
- Labs full-equipped to study DNA and RNA
- Thermal cyclers
- Optics Lab
- UV and chemiluminescent imaging equipment
- Greenhouse with three environmental growth chambers
- Mayo Clinic. Laboratory
- Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Montana State University National Science Foundation Research
- University of Iowa
- Immunology research at the Mayo Clinic
- King’s College in London, England
Dedicated Career Help
Interest discovery, application assistance, internship/job connections and more.
Major in Biochemistry (63 credit hours)
Mathematics and Physics (12 credit hours)
- MATH 161 Calculus II: Theory and Applications
- PHYS 211 General Physics I
- PHYS 212 General Physics II: Calculus-Based
Biology (19 credit hours)
- BIOL 164 Biological Principles II
- BIOL 163 Biological Principles I
- BIOL 305 Cell Biology or BIOL 418 Molecular Biology
- BIOL 240 Microbiology or BIOL 260 Genetics or BIOL 380 Human Physiology
- 3 Additional Biology credits in BIOL courses numbered between 201-450 (excluding 300-304 and 400)
Chemistry (23 credit hours)
- CHEM 151 General Chemistry I
- CHEM 152 General Chemistry II
- CHEM 261 Organic Chemistry I
- CHEM 262 Organic Chemistry II
- CHEM 311 Analytical Chemistry
- CHEM 353 Physical Chemistry: Thermodynamics
Biochemistry (4 credit hours)
- BCHM 401 Biochemistry
Research Experience (3 credit hours)
Choose from one of the following courses or groups of courses.
- BIOL 495 Biology Internship
- BIOL 200 Research Experience I, BIOL 300 Research Experience II and BIOL 400 Research Capstone
- CHEM 200 Chemistry Research Methods, CHEM 300 Chemistry Research and CHEM 400 Chemistry Seminar
Thanks to a $2.7 million endowment from Harry Stine and the Stine Family Foundation, BVU's science curriculum goes beyond lectures, taking lessons of the classroom into the real world.Read More
Each year BVU selects 15-18 students to receive grant funding of $5,000 max per year for up to four years and $2,000 for a science sampler interim trip.Read More