- 1 carton (10 reams) of 100% virgin copier paper uses 0.6 trees
- Americans throw away 44 million newspapers every day. That’s the same as dumping 500,000 trees into landfills each week.
- Americans discard 4 million tons of office paper every year--enough to build a 12 foot-high wall of paper from New York to California.
- American’s throw out about 85% of the office paper we use.
- Americans use 50 million tons of paper annually--which means we consume more than 850 million trees. That means the average American uses about 580 pounds of paper each year.
- Every ton of recycled office paper saves 380 gallons of oil.
- When you toss out one aluminum can you waste as much energy as if you’d filled the same can half-full of gasoline and poured it into the ground.
- We save enough energy by recycling one aluminum can to run a TV set for three hours.
- Americans throw away enough aluminum every month to rebuild our entire commercial air fleet.
- The 36 billion aluminum cans land filled last year had a scrap value of more than $600 million. (Someday we'll be mining our landfills for the resources we've buried.)
*All facts were found at http://www.oberlin.edu/recycle/facts.html*