In front, holding the ''MooVE'' cow mascot: Lauren Whitt and Serena Geisinger. In back: April Allen, Caitlin Hof, Gwen Walton, Kirsten Bielen, John Killpack, and Cruz Ochoa. Missing: Christian Mugisha and Dominique Daily.
Buena Vista University’s Student MOVE won an organization achievement award at the National Collegiate Leadership Conference Feb. 19-20 in Tucson, Ariz.
Student MOVE (Mobilizing Outreach Volunteer Efforts) is a student-operated organization that coordinates student volunteer efforts and is an advisory board to BVU’s Office of Civic Engagement. In the case study competition, Student MOVE advanced two of its case study presentations to the second round. In addition to presenting case studies the group presented a workshop titled “Serve, Don’t Help:Efforts to Create Lasting Change.” More than 60 colleges and universities were represented at the conference.
The achievement award recognizes student-run organizations that have demonstrated extraordinary leadership, teamwork and organizational skills to plan and facilitate events that benefit the community. The students were accompanied by Ashley Farmer-Hanson, director of civic engagement at BVU. While at the conference, the students earned certificates in leadership for their participation and involvement throughout the event.
BVU students attending the conference were:
- Caitlin Hof, a sophomore biochemistry, biology and chemistry triple major from Yankton, S.D.;
- Serena Geisinger, a junior biology, pre-dentistry major from Lawton;
- Cruz Ochoa, a senior Spanish major from South Sioux City, Neb.;
- Kirsten Bielen, a junior elementary education major from Redwood Falls, Minn.;
- Gwendolyn Walton, a sophomore biology secondary education major from Granger;
- John Killpack, a junior biology major from Logan;
- Lauren Whitt, a junior English and political science/pre-law double major from Sloan;
- April Allen, a junior history major from Sioux City;
- Dominique Daily, a junior communication studies major from Chicago;
- Christian Mugisha, a junior marketing and international business double major from Kigali, Rwanda